As a mayor, 36-year-old Dominique Sauerteig has thick skin, without which such a job is no longer possible to manage. And, of course, you don’t like to show people, even those who are chronically sad, as the head of the municipality. some durability is part of it. With the 55-year-old, however, the mayor of Coburg then reached the limit. The personal “threats and insults” were simply too much for him, so he initiated a criminal case. Also, a house ban has been issued against this, well, very special City Hall client.
And then came the night of August 23-24, 2022, a night that many were reminded of one of the worst fire disasters in Coburg’s post-war history. Also OB leaven (SPD). The city almost had to live in “a second hell, like in Herngasse,” he says. On May 27, 2012, six buildings were destroyed in the narrow city of Coburg, four of which are listed buildings. More than a dozen people were injured, 60 had to leave their homes, the doll museum was also damaged.
Ten years later, it wasn’t so bad. in August, the official electric car of the mayor and another city car were burned in the yard of the municipality. A city spokesman confirmed that the inferno that had just been averted wasn’t just “that random”. When the firefighters arrived, the fire had already penetrated the insulation of the building. The back yard has a gate, otherwise it is only open at the top, the chimney effect could have set the whole block on fire. Since then, many people have been worried. Someone suddenly notices, says someone from the municipality, that he can “become a target”. OB Sauerteig put it the same way. Many were now thinking. “What happens next?”
The man in question, a 55-year-old man with a municipal injunction, was arrested the same night. Various items were found on him, which indicate that he set fire. No doubt for now. The police call the man “officially famous”, and in the morning they are walking around the municipality to see who he is. the person who is accused of planting a fake bomb on the town hall six months ago and thus causing a commotion. to have in the center of the whole city. Coburg’s posh market, home to many traders, had to be closed for hours on Saturday morning until special forces arrived.
The same name and age as the repeatedly convicted “citizen of the Reich”.
Later, the brush on the door of the city office, whose symbol resembles a warning about radioactivity, was found to be harmless. The 55-year-old man was detained, but was released shortly after. The case was assessed by various bodies, the police representative said. It was concluded that the man is no longer in danger. According to him, the operation as a result of cleaning the market was just a “big misunderstanding”. One that backfired.
Who is that man: As long as the 55-year-old man is only suspected of committing serious arson and disturbing the public peace by threatening to commit a crime six months ago, the State Office for the Protection of the Constitution and other Bavarian security agencies should: show strict restraint. One thing, however, is at least not denied. the man has the same name and age as a “Reichsbürger” from the region with multiple criminal records who was once questioned as such in the local press and also allowed himself to be. photographed. Whoever confronts the employees of the Coburg municipality with that picture from the newspaper, gets the answer. “That’s him.”
Therefore, it is very much possible to show that someone has resurfaced, for whose criminal record an official of the Bavarian judicial system spends about 15 minutes at his computer to collect all reasonably relevant charges. Lawyers call this a walk through the criminal code. The official reads: bodily injury, property damage, insult, incitement to hatred, defamation, trespass, use of unconstitutional organizations. Of course, it is not complete, the total number of penalties – individual and general penalties – “extremely complex”.
Much of it, and this, like most things in this case, is exemplary, is in the realm of “low criminal law”: insults to the mayor, resistance to officials, far-right statements, stink bombs to public authorities. , such things. Nothing, says the official, for which you can, as they say, “take it out of circulation” for a long time.
The defendant wanted to take steps against the “football stupidity of the people”.
There is one exception. If the person known to the Coburg “authorities” for some time was actually identical to the person who had already become known to the Bayreuth authorities around 2016, he would already be guilty of serious arson. On July 7, 2016, a 48-year-old man disabled the transmitter near the city with a lightning bolt. On that day, Germany played against France in the European Championship, then the witness testified that the defendant wanted to take action against “the stupidity of the people”. In his confession, he instead cited anger over “microwave radiation” as a motive. Nevertheless.
Much more interesting is the psychiatrist’s opinion in the lawsuit against the man. Classifying people like the accused as “crazy” or “schizophrenic” is a reflex,” the expert once said. North Bavarian Courier quoted. Rather, the fact is that, like thousands of others, the 48-year-old has decided to believe in something specific. But I definitely have the opportunity to tell myself from now on. The courts then ruled on criminal detention. So there is no placement in psychiatry.
This “something” that someone apparently believes in can be described as classic “Reichsbürger” ideology. The man explained it again and again in court and frankly to journalists. Accordingly, the German Reich allegedly did not collapse, the Federal Republic is merely a trustee or construction company, the courts are registered companies, the employees of Richter GmbH and the like; A broken family life is said to have led the rather worn-out man to Brazil during that time. There he tried to establish an import and export business for lederhosen, but was unsuccessful. That’s why he got in touch with neo-Nazis. It “changed” him.
The 55-year-old, who was arrested in August, is said to have previously attracted attention in Coburg with swastika pencils. Journalists were also targeted. Wolfgang Braunschmidt, editor-in-chief of Coburger new press, reported him as a threat, and Braunschmidt also banned the 55-year-old from entering the house. He is said to have smeared the newspaper window. Nothing serious, says Braunschmidt. But just so it keeps you on your toes.
The man poses no threat, experts have ruled after the Coburg bomb hoax. It could be that in this case they were wrong. “But that,” says a lawyer familiar with the issue, “is how we weigh the poles of freedom and security every day.” After the fire in the municipality, the 55-year-old man is currently in a psychiatric hospital.
He would “certainly prefer it,” explains Mayor Sauerteig, if this man “had been in custody for a long time.” However, as a law graduate, he also understands that it is not easy to get an appropriate conviction or instruction in the “border zone of delusion and criminal responsibility”.