Caution, danger of poisoning
With chips, downloads increase massively
Instead of reaching for a bag of chips, many also enjoy corn or tortilla chips. But quite a few products contain plant toxins. More than 20 varieties have already been downloaded.
For about two months, there has been an increasing number of recalls of corn and tortilla chips due to the increased content of plant toxins, so-called tropane alkaloids. These can affect the heart rate and nervous system and cause, among other things, headaches, blurred vision, dry mucous membranes, drowsiness and nausea.
According to the “Hessische/Niedersächsische Allgemeine” (HNA), among others, more than 20 types of chips are now recalled because they contain tropane alkaloids. The latest to hit Ener Bio’s tortilla chips in paprika and sea salt varieties. They were available at Rossmann but have been out of stock for quite some time. Alnatura also had to recall many varieties.
Tropane alkaloids occur naturally in dogwood, henbane, and thorny apple. However, they can also get into the raw materials (corn here) for chips during the grain harvest.
According to HNA, the recall affects the following 20 types of chips:
- Alnatura corn flakes natural, 125 grams, best before date (MHD): until December 7, 2022 inclusive
- Cornflakes Alnatura Paprika, 125 grams, minimum shelf life: up to and including December 7, 2022
- Alnatura corn rolls, 125 grams, minimum shelf life: up to and including December 7, 2022
- Organic tortilla chips Heimatgut sea salt, 125 grams – Best before date (MHD): September 12, 2022 to March 3, 2023
- Bio Heimatgut Tortilla Chips Sweet Chili, 125 grams, Use by: September 14, 2022 to March 2, 2023
- Bio Heimatgut Tortilla Rolls Sea Salt, 125 grams, best before: 06 September 2022 to 3 March 2023
- Bio Heimatgut Tortilla Rolls Salsa Style, 125 grams, best before: September 7, 2022 to March 3, 2023
- Dennree Salted Tortilla Chips, 125 Grams, BBD: All
- Dennree Tortilla Chips Pepper, 125 grams, BBD: All
- Ener Bio Tortilla Chips Paprika, BBD: everything
- Ener Bio Tortilla Chips Sea Salt, BBD: All
- Santa Maria Bio Salted Tortilla Chips, BHD: until March 30, 2023 inclusive
- Tortilla chips Amaizin pepper, best before date: August 13, 2022 to March 5, 2023
- Amaizin Chili Tortilla Chips Best Before: August 13, 2022 to March 5, 2023
- Tortilla Chips Amaizin Natural, best before date: August 13, 2022 to March 5, 2023
- Amaizin Nacho Cheese Tortilla Chips, best before date: August 13, 2022 to March 5, 2023
- Amaizin Tomato Tortilla Chips Best By August 13, 2022 to March 5, 2023
- Trafo tortilla chips chili 75g and 200g, Best before date: August 15, 2022 to January 9, 2023
- Trafo tortilla chips Naturel 75g and 200g, Best before date: August 15, 2022 to January 9, 2023
- Trafo tortilla chips Nacho Cheese 75g, Best before date: August 15, 2022 to January 9, 2023
The consumer portal produktwarnung.eu recommends, regardless of the minimum shelf life date, not to consume the listed products due to the listed health risks and to return them to the points of sale for replacement.